Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Hangover III


NOTE: This one's gonna be short cause I saw it a few weeks ago but wanted to get another review up between now and Despicable Me 2.

The Hangover III is the third and supposedly final installment in the wildly popular Hangover series. The original came out in 2009 was a surprise hit which jump started the careers of the 3 main actors(Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms and Zach Galifianikis) and spawned a lesser loved sequel. I personally loved the first, I liked the second, more than most people did. For this film almost everyone returns, Mike Epps (Black Doug) and Heather Graham (Jade, the stripper ex-wife) return to their roles. There's also some new cast members who bring a few fresh faces to the series, Melissa McCarthy of Bridesmaids fame and John Goodman of a lot of movies bring some hysterical scenes.

The Positive: The new and returning cast members really help the usuals feel fresh and new. The different story and plotline really help as well. It seems that the same people that complained that Hangover II was a carbon copy of the first are the ones complaining that this one isn't a copy of the first. It's a comedy so what is there to evaluate, if it's funny or not. For me, it was, I saw it twice and both times laughed for quite a long time.

The Negative: Ed Helms and Bradley Cooper kinda look bored and uninterested. Cooper is Oscar-nominated and Helms has been in some critically-acclaimed films, not to mention The Office. As I said, it is funny but there are some things that just fall flat. Alan(Galifianikis) was always a lovable ass but in this installment there's much more emphasis on the 'ass' part of the phrase and it drags the movie down a little bit.

Overall: It's not great, but it is a good fun, funny movie. Yes fun and funny are 2 different things when it comes to movies. It's between I and II for me, I liked it a lot for being different but in some spots being different in a bad way bring the movie down a peg for me.

Rating: 3.5/5 I'll probably pick it up on DVD to complete the collection.

Normally I don't do decimals but I truly thought 3 was too low but 4 was a little too high, therefore, 3.5.

No comments:

Post a Comment